Expert: Miss Sylvia Lam – Registered Dietitian and Chairlady of Hong Kong Dietitians Association
- A balance diet is always recommended but carbohydrate intake is important to athletes.
- Athletes should consume 5-7g of carbohydrates per kg of body weight
- For example, a 60kg runner should intake 300 – 420g of carbohydrate per day
- Carbohydrates can be absorbed from rice, noodles, bread, fruit, sports drink or juice.
- 300g of carbohydrates = 6 bowl of rice
- Runners are recommended to intake between 300 – 450 g of meat for replenishment of protein
- Runners should drink 6 – 8 glasses of water per day