> Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon > Event Info > Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions of the Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2017 (“the Event”)
- Age Limits – Marathon participants must be 20 years old or above as of 2017. For the Half Marathon, 10KM and Wheelchair Races, participants must be 16 years old or above as of 2017. The Hong Kong Amateur Athletic Association Limited (the Organizer) has the right to verify and request for verification of the age of participants before, during and after the Event.
- Acceptance of Entries (Priority Entry) – All entries for this category must have completed one race sanctioned by the IAAF / AIMS or organized by HKAAA within 1st January 2015 and 31st July 2016 under the following times:
Race Men Women Marathon (42.195KM) 3:30:00 3:50:00 Half-Marathon (21.0975KM) 1:35:30 1:43:30 15KM 1:06:30 1:12:30 10KM 0:43:00 0:47:30
An applicant must submit proof confirming the qualification of the above to the Organizer at the time when he/she submits his/her application. An applicant failing to submit the proof as required before the Priority Entry registration period closes will be considered as withdrawing and forfeiting his/her entry.
The Organizer reserves the right to verify the submitted proof and to disqualify and take disciplinary action against any applicant who summits false or invalid information.
The Organizer also reserves the right to contact and interview an applicant by phone or through other means in order to obtain additional information required to substantiate his/her application.
- Acceptance of Entries (Public) –
Ballot adopted by the Organizer shall be used to determine public entry.
Result of the ballot will be notified to all applicants via Event Website and their designated email stated in the application after 11th October, 2016 and no enquiry, whether by phone, email or in writing of the status or result of the ballot will be entertained before such notification.
An applicant must ensure that his/her designated email is correct, complete and will continue to be in use.
The assignment of the race and start time in which a participant shall compete shall be made by the Organizer at the Organizer’s sole discretion. In order to assist the Organizer in making such an assignment, a Marathon applicant is required to provide in the application form his/her past race records in the last 3 years of any overseas or local 10KM or above races; for an applicant of Half Marathon and 10KM races, estimated finishing time should be provided accordingly. No request for any change to another category, race or start time will be entertained by the Organizer.
The Organizer reserves the right to take disciplinary action and disqualify any participant who fails to start in his/her designated category, race and start time.
- General – Participation in the Event is personal to the applicant and all applicants are strictly prohibited from swapping, selling, auctioning, transferring or offering to swap, sell, auction or transfer their successful entry or their place in the Event or allow or permit any other person to wear their bib number allocated to them. Any breach of this rule shall render the entry void and both the guilty applicant and the substituted participant shall be subject to disciplinary action by the HKAAA including exclusion from participation in future Events.
- Duplicated Entries – An applicant can submit only one application only for the Event. All duplicated applications or registrations will be rejected or cancelled by the Organizer without giving prior notice. No entry fee will be refunded and redeeming the runner’s pack will not be entertained.
- Entry Fee – Entry fee for all races is HK$350 (Local Runner) / HK$450 (Overseas Runner) per entry. It is the sole responsibility of an applicant to ensure that payment of the entry fee is made through the official payment channel designated by the Organizer within the prescribed time. No reminder for payment will be made to any applicant and an applicant who fails to pay the entry fee as aforesaid will be deemed to have withdrawn his/her application and will not be allowed to compete in the Event. No request for extension of time for payment or change in the method of payment will be entertained. Save as provided below, entry fee, once submitted, is non-reversible and non-refundable. An applicant can only withdraw and request for refund due to medical reasons and such request for refund must be made in writing on or before 19 February 2017 to the Marathon Secretariat and accompanied by relevant medical documents issued by a medical practitioner (registered with The Medical Council of Hong Kong or Overseas Governmental medical authorities). An administration charge of HK$100 will be deducted for each refund, and the remaining entry fee will be refunded to the Applicant by cheque and via mail one month after the Event.
(a) Local Runner – A holder of a) valid Hong Kong Identity Card; b) Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport issued by the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region; or c) British National Overseas Passport (Hong Kong).
(b) Overseas Runner – A runner who does not qualify as a Local Runner.
- Terms & Conditions and Official Rules – Upon submitting his/her application and payment of the entry fee, an applicant declares that he/she agrees to accept the Terms & Conditions, the Official Competition Rules and all other rules and regulations which may be introduced by the Organizer from time to time.
- Physical Conditions – Participants should be aware of and understand the risks involved in taking part in his/her race, and acknowledge the degree of fitness required to take part therein. It is the sole responsibility of a participant to ensure that he/she is physically fit to participate in and complete his/her race without any medical or other assistance. Any person who is pregnant or suffering from any chronic disease such as heart disease or high blood pressure should not participate in the Event. The Organizer reserves the right to disallow / disqualify any person who is known to have the above condition. The Organizer at its sole discretion also has the right to suspend any participant who appears or is suspected to be physically unfit to participate in the Event. All participants are asked to seek medical advice of their physical condition before participating in the Event. By submitting his / her application to take part in the Event, and subsequently taking part in the Event, a participant
(a) warrants and confirms to the Organizer that he / she is physically fit to participate in and complete his/her race; and
(b) agrees to indemnify the Organizer and hold the Organizer indemnified and harmless for i) any injury or death suffered by the participant himself / herself or any other persons; and ii) any damage to property as a result of him / her not being physically fit to participate in and complete the race.
- Disqualification – The Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any person and nullify his or her result due to any violation, breach or non-observance of any laws or regulations in Hong Kong, International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Competition Rules or the Official Competition Rules set for the Event. The Organizer shall not be obliged to refund any entry fee under such circumstance.
- Route Alteration – The Organizer reserves the right to change or alter any parts of the running route before and during the race without prior notice to participants in the event of unexpected road conditions or emergency. A race may be temporarily suspended for emergency or any other incidents during the race. Participants must follow the instructions of race officials or any law enforcement officers on site, in the event of emergency or any incident.
- Instructions Given by Race Officials – Instructions given by the Organizer and race officials must be followed with respect to all matters not provided herein. The Organizer reserves the right to reject future applications of a participant who has refused to follow instructions of the race officials for all future Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathons or any other races organized by the Organizer.
- Results – Official Times and Net Times will be provided to participants who have completed the designated races within the specified time limit with correct race number bibs. Split Times maybe provided and if so, they are for reference only. For 3KM Wheelchair Race participants, only Official Times will be provided.
- Awards, Finisher Medal and Certificates – Only participants of the Marathon Challenge, Half Marathon Challenge and 10KM Challenge races will be entitled to compete for awards. Official Times will be used to determine the positions of each race.
Certificates of Achievement and Progress Award certificates will be issued to runners with Official Times in all races and categories.
Participants failing to start the race in the designated start times in the assigned race category, or failing to complete the race (including participants boarding the Official Bus), shall not be entitled to any awards and certificates.
Marathon Participants failing to complete the race (including those boarding the Official Bus), shall not be entitled to finisher medal and certificates.
- Event Cancellation – Should the Event be cancelled due to weather or other circumstances beyond the control of the Organizer or in the case of a force majeure resulting in the Event being cancelled, a refund of 50% of the entry fee will be made before 30 June 2017. The Organizer shall not be required to postpone the Event and shall have no further responsibility and/or liability upon such refund being made.
- Wheelchair Races Entry Requirement – Participants must submit medical certificates issued by a medical practitioner or appointed government agency to prove their relevant physical disability at the time of submitting their application.
- Wheelchair Specification – Wheelchairs to be used by the wheelchair race participants must meet the official requirements and regulations set out by the Organizer. Inspection of participants’ wheelchairs may be made prior to the race on the event day. If a wheelchair fails to comply with the requirements, participants will not be allowed to start the race and their entries will be forfeited and their entry fee paid will not be refunded.
- Wheelchair condition – It is the sole responsibility of wheelchair participants to ensure that his / her wheelchair is of such necessary quality and in good condition to participate in the race. Wheelchair participants agree to indemnify the Organizer and hold the Organizer indemnified and harmless for any injury and death caused to themselves or other persons and to all damage to properties caused by the improper use of the wheelchairs or the defective quality or condition of their wheelchair.
- Languages – Terms and Conditions are in Chinese and English. In the case of discrepancies between the Chinese and English versions, the English version shall prevail.
- Weather –The Organizer may cancel the Event if tropical cyclone warning signal no.3 or above, or if a red or black rainstorm signal is hoisted by the Hong Kong Observatory at 3:00 am or thereafter on Sunday, 12 February 2017. Please pay special attention to the weather report the night before the Event as it will indicate whether tropical cyclone warning signals, red or black rainstorm signals are likely to be hoisted in the forthcoming period. If so, please follow updates on the radio or TV announcements regarding the status of the Event from 3:00 am onwards. .