Terms and Conditions
Termsand Conditions of the Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2018 (“the Event”)
1. Age Limits– Participants of Marathon distance must be 20 years old or above as of 31December 2018. For the Half Marathon, 10KM and Wheelchair Races, participantsmust be 16 years old or above as of 31 December 2018. The Hong Kong AmateurAthletic Association Limited (the Organizer) has the right to verify andrequest for verification of the age of participants before, during and afterthe Event.
2. Acceptance of Entries (Priority Entry) –Registrants entering the Event via Priority Entry must have completed one race sanctionedby the IAAF / AIMS or organized by HKAAA within 1st January 2016 and31st July 2017 under the following times:
Anapplicant must submit proof (e.g. Finish Certificate printed/result or screencap of result page) confirming the qualification of the above to the Organizerat the time when he/she submits his/her application. An applicant failing tosubmit the proof as required before the Priority Entry registration periodcloses will be considered as incomplete registration and will not be processed.
TheOrganizer reserves the right to verify the submitted proof and to disqualifyand take disciplinary action against any applicant who summits false or invalidinformation.
The Organizer alsoreserves the right to contact and interview an applicant by phone or through othermeans in order to obtain additional information required to substantiate his/herapplication.
3. Acceptance of Entries (Public Ballot Entry- Individual)–
Ballot adopted by the Organizer shall be used todetermine public entry.
Result of the ballot will be notified to all applicants viaEvent Website and their designated email stated in the application after 21stSeptember, 2017 and no enquiry, whether by phone, email or in writing of the statusor result of the ballot will be entertained before such notification.
An applicant must ensure that his/her designated email iscorrect, complete and will continue to be in use.
The assignment of the race and start time in which a participantshall participate shall be made by the Organizer at the Organizer’s solediscretion. In order to assist the Organizer in making such an assignment, a Marathonapplicant is required to provide in the application form his/her past racerecords in the last 3 years of any overseas or local 10KM or above races; foran applicant of Half Marathon and 10KM races, estimated finishing time shouldbe provided accordingly. No request for any change to another category, race orstart time will be entertained by the Organizer.
The Organizer reserves the right to take disciplinaryaction and disqualify any participant who fails to start in his/her designatedcategory, race and start time.
4. Acceptance of Entries (Public Ballot Entry- Team)-
Ballot results of team entry will be announced via eventwebsite and email. Team captain will be responsible for all the registrationrelated communication and payment settlement.
Individual team members will not receive the officialannouncement. Enquiry, whether by phone, email or in writing of the status orresult of the ballot will not be entertained before the official announcement.
5. General – Participation in the Event is personal tothe applicant and all applicants are strictly prohibited from swapping,selling, auctioning, transferring or offering to swap, sell, auction ortransfer their successful entry or their place in the Event or allow or permitany other person to wear their bib number allocated to them. Any breach of thisrule shall render the entry void and both the guilty applicant and the substitutedparticipant shall be subject to disciplinary action by the HKAAA, includingexclusion from participation in future Events.
6. Duplicated Entries – An applicant can submit only one applicationonly for the Event. All duplicate applications or registrations will be rejectedor cancelled by the Organizer without giving prior notice. No entry fee will berefunded and redeeming the runner’s pack will not be entertained.
7. Entry Fee – Entry fee for all races is HK$350 (Local Runner) / US$60(Overseas Runner) (Entry fee will be settled by Hong Kong dollars, USD/HKDexchange rate will be calculated according to 16:00, 15 August 2017 exchangerate provided by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited) perentry. It is the sole responsibility of an applicant to ensure that payment ofthe entry fee is made through the official payment channel designated by theOrganizer within the prescribed time. No reminder for payment will be made toany applicant and an applicant who fails to pay the entry fee as aforesaid willbe deemed to have withdrawn his/her application and will not be allowed tocompete in the Event. No request for extension of time for payment or change inthe method of payment will be entertained. Save as provided below, entry fee,once submitted, is non-reversible and non-refundable. An applicant canonly withdraw and request for refund due to medical reasons and suchrequest for refund must be made in writing on or before 21 January 2018 to theMarathon Secretariat and accompanied by relevant medical documents issued by amedical practitioner (registered with The Medical Council of Hong Kong orOverseas Governmental medical authorities). An administration charge of HK$100 willbe deducted for each refund, and the remaining entry fee will be refunded tothe Applicant by cheque and via mail one month after the Event.
(a) Local Runner – A holder of
a) ValidHong Kong Identity Card; or
b) Hong Kong SpecialAdministrative Region Passport issued by the Immigration Department of the Hong KongSpecial Administrative Region; or
c) British National OverseasPassport (Hong Kong).
(b) Overseas Runner – A runner who does notqualify as a Local Runner.
8. Terms & Conditions and Official Rules– Upon submitting his/her application and payment of the entry fee, anapplicant declares that he/she agrees to accept the Terms & Conditions, theOfficial Competition Rules and all other rules and regulations which may be introducedby the Organizer from time to time.
9. Physical Conditions – Participants should be awareof and understand the risks involved in taking part in his/her race, and acknowledgethe degree of fitness required to take part therein. It is the soleresponsibility of a participant to ensure that he/she is physically fit toparticipate in and complete his/her race without any medical or otherassistance. Any person who is pregnant or suffering from any chronic diseasesuch as heart disease or high blood pressure should not participate in the Event.The Organizer reserves the right to disallow / disqualify any person who isknown to have the above condition. The Organizer at its sole discretion also hasthe right to suspend any participant who appears or is suspected to bephysically unfit to participate in the Event. All participants are asked toseek medical advice of their physical condition before participating in the Event.By submitting his / her application to take part in the Event, and subsequentlytaking part in the Event, a participant
(a) warrantsand confirms to the Organizer that he / she is physically fit to participate inand complete his/her race; and
(b) agreesto indemnify the Organizer and hold the Organizer indemnified and harmless fori) any injury or death suffered by the participant himself / herself or anyother persons; and ii) any damage to property as a result of him / her notbeing physically fit to participate in and complete the race.
10. Disqualification – The Organizer reserves the right todisqualify any person and nullify hisor her result due to any violation, breach or non-observance of any laws orregulations in Hong Kong, International Association of Athletics Federations(IAAF) Competition Rules or the Official Competition Rules set for the Event.The Organizer shall not be obliged to refund any entry fee under suchcircumstance.
11. Route Alteration – The Organizer reserves the right tochange or alter any parts of the running route before and during the racewithout prior notice to participants in the event of unexpected road conditionsor emergency. A race may be temporarily suspended for emergency or any other incidentsduring the race. Participants must follow the instructions of race officials orany law enforcement officers on site, in the event of emergency or any incident.
12. Instructions Given by Race Officials – Instructions given by the Organizer andrace officials must be followed with respect to all matters not providedherein. The Organizer reserves the right to reject future applications of a participantwho has refused to follow instructions of the race officials for all futureStandard Chartered Hong Kong Marathons or any other races organized by theOrganizer.
13. Results – Official Times and Net Times will be provided toparticipants who have completed the designated races within the specified timelimit with correct race number bibs. SplitTimes maybe provided and if so, they are for reference only. For 3KM WheelchairRace participants, only Official Times will be provided.
14. Awards, Finisher Medal and Certificates – Only participants of the MarathonChallenge, Half Marathon Challenge and 10KM Challenge races will be entitled tocompete for awards. Official Times will be used to determine the positions ofeach race.
Certificatesof Achievement and Progress Award certificates will be issued to runnerswith Official Times in all races and categories.
Participantsfailing to start the race in the designated start times in the assigned racecategory, or failing to complete the race (including participants boarding the OfficialBus), shall not be entitled to any awards and certificates.
MarathonParticipants failing to complete the race (including those boarding theOfficial Bus), shall not be entitled to finisher medal and certificates.
15. Event Cancellation – Should the Event be cancelled due to weatheror other circumstances beyond the control of the Organizer or in the case of a forcemajeure resulting in the Event being cancelled, a refund of 50% of the entryfee will be made before 15June 2018. The Organizer shallnot be required to postpone the Event and shall have no further responsibilityand/or liability upon such refund being made. .
16. Wheelchair Races Entry Requirement – Participants must submit medical certificates issuedby a medical practitioner or appointed government agency to prove theirrelevant physical disability at the time of submitting their application.
17. Wheelchair Specification – Wheelchairs to be used by the wheelchairrace participants must meet the official requirements and regulations set outby the Organizer. Inspection of participants’ wheelchairs may be made prior tothe race on the event day. If a wheelchair fails to comply with therequirements, participants will not be allowed to start the race and theirentries will be forfeited and their entry fee paid will not be refunded.
18. Wheelchair condition – It is the sole responsibility ofwheelchair participants to ensure that his / her wheelchair is ofsuch necessary quality and in good condition to participate in the race. Wheelchairparticipants agree to indemnify the Organizer and hold the Organizerindemnified and harmless for any injury and death caused to themselves or otherpersons and to all damage to properties caused by the improper use of thewheelchairs or the defective quality or condition of their wheelchair.
19. Weather –The Organizer may cancel the Event if tropical cyclonewarning signal no.3 or above, or if a red or black rainstorm signal is hoistedby the Hong Kong Observatory at 3:00 am or thereafter on Sunday, 21 January 2018. Please pay special attention to the weatherreport the night before the Event as it will indicate whether tropical cyclonewarning signals, red or black rainstorm signals are likely to be hoisted in theforthcoming period. If so, please follow updates on the radio or TVannouncements regarding the status of the Event from 3:00 am onwards.
20. Runner’s Pack Collection – As stated on the acceptance letter, participantsmust collect their Runner’s Pack within the official collection period. Shouldparticipants arrive at the Runner’s Pack Collection venue beyond the officialcollection time advised by the Organizer, the Organizer reserved the right torevoke participants’ right to collect the Runner’s Pack (including Race Bib)without prior notice.
21. T-shirt Selection – Successful participants must select theirt-shirt size before settle the payment. The t-shirt size are available onfirst-come first-served basic.
Not-shirt size amendment or change will be entertained under any circumstanceupon confirmed the payment
22. Languages – Terms and Conditions are in Chinese and English. In the case of discrepancies between the Chinese and English versions, the English version shall prevail.
|Public Ballot (Individual)|
|Public Ballot (Team)|